Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's Official

After a couple years on this thing -- on and off, actually -- I'm doing what I should have done then, and giving The Session Beer Project a home. I'm sensing a shift in the beer currents -- that's what my February "Steaming Pile" column in Ale Street News is about, I'll link as soon as it's up -- and I think that this is going to be a big year for the comeback of session beer in America.

What's going to happen? Don't know yet. But I'm going to do what I can to get the word out on session beers -- see the definition at the top right of the page -- and see what we can do to get brewers to make them, bars to carry them, and you, my friends, I'm going ask you to drink them.

Brewers and importers: if you've got year-round beers that are under 4.5% ABV, that are flavorful -- sorry, no mainstream light lagers need apply, that's just how it is -- and available, let me know. If you can, send samples (along with notes on distribution): I'll be happy to post tasting notes here. If we're right -- and by 'we' I mean myself, some influential bar owners I know, and some industry people -- there is a market waiting for tasty, lower-alcohol beers, and the good one that makes it to market first is going to have a substantial edge. Start thinking.

Bar and restaurant owners/managers (and that means you brewpub folks, too): if you get the right session beer on -- meaning one that tastes good -- you can substantially increase your sales. Think about it: would you rather sell thirty glasses of El Mondo Grosso Imperial Stout at $6 a glass, or seventy-five glasses of Lulu's Luscious Ale at $4 a glass? Session beer is good at the register, and it's safer for your customers (and your liability). It also makes your bar a more attractive spot for folks who want to hang out for more than an hour, and not get all drunked up (and isn't that the kind of customer you want?).

Drinkers! It's a common taunt: "People who drink light beer don't really like beer; they just like to pee a lot." Well...if you're going out to drink beer, why get hammered on two or three huge beers? If you really like to drink beer, why not find a good, flavorful session beer and have five? I mean...if you like drinking beer, and the conviviality and social fun that goes with it, why not have a beer that lets you keep doing that longer?

Session Beer in '09. Working to make it happen.

13 comments:

  1. Great idea! And , pal, you are totally onto something with the session beer thing. "bout time brewers and drinkers focus on something else besides hops, ABV and getting hammered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rich! Congratulations on being the first comment. I'd love to see brewers and drinkers focused on the social aspects of beer drinking...as most brewers do when they get together. Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about 'Thank you sir, may I have another?' Feel free to use some variation of 'A Good Beer to Sit Down With' too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea for a blog! A couple NC breweries have made a session beer recently. One I've tried (an "organic" Bitter which was great)The other I'm picking some up today after work (a 4.5 Rauchbier!).

    Plus I'm homebrewing more session beers lately.. Does that count?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenn,

    Absolutely homebrew counts! Especially if it's good and you share it. Every batch helps spread the idea. What are the NC breweries?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bitter is made by Highland Brewing
    The Rauchbier is made by Carolina Brewing Company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crazy idea: have a homebrew comp this year - session beers only. Instead of grouping by BJCP categories & subcategories for judging, group by broader styles & ABV.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homebrew session competition sounds like a great idea to me. I'm going to suggest it nationally and locally. I like the 'lumping' idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about a nice Czech Ležák? Yes, they are lages, yes, many of them are mainstream, and yes, some of them hit the 5%ABV mark. But they are still flavourful and you can easily drink six without having any serious consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a problem with lagers at all, Filosof, and 'mainstream,' if flavorful, is okay, but 5% is over the limit for what we're talking about here. I drink 5% beers, love 'em, but we're looking for something different. There are some sub-4.5% Czech lagers, not so?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, there are plenty of them, the jedenactký, meaning beers brewed at 11° Balling, they are all around 4,5%ABV. And then you have the desítky (10° Balling), they are around 4%. Some of them, like Kout na Šumavě 10% and Kácov 10% are really flavourful.
    Oh! And there is another one, you might know it, Pilsner Urquell, it has 4,4%ABV. Bottled is not big deal, but unpasteurised it is still really good.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome: please stay on topic. Spam will not be posted; don't bother.