Sunday, February 1, 2009

Score! I found some nice SB in NJ

I was over at the Mt. Holly Fire & Ice Festival yesterday, signing books with Mark Haney at the little beer festival High Street Grill put on. $20 for a one-hour session, three times, in a tent in the street, and it was rocking. Some excellent beers, those who went definitely got their money's worth. I was getting River Horse Hop-alot-amus (their new DIPA, good stuff, and not all piney/grapefruity, either), Smuttynose Robust Porter, and Founder's Porter, all quite nice and repeatable. Mark and I ducked into the Grill to warm up between sessions; cool place, good taps (whisky, too: I got a snifter of Caol Ila that really satisfied that warming need), and I'll have to go back when it's not so crazy.

But after everything was over, I walked down to Red White and Brew, a small but well-stocked package store just down High Street that I've been using for a few years now when I have a tasting in the area. I needed to pick up some beers for a beer cocktail piece I'm writing, and RW&B always has good stuff. And while I was looking, I saw bottles of Tomos Watkin's Cwrw Brâf, a wonderful session ale (4.2%) from Wales. "Ho ho," I called out, "you've got the Cwrw Brâf! This is great!" And the wonderful woman at the counter (Stacey?) says, "I've got cases of the OSB, too, only $18." Bonus, I'd been wanting to try it! So I came home with 4 bottles of Cwrw Brâf, and a case of OSB (4.5%).

Good session drinking for Super Bowl, coming right up!

1 comment:

  1. Lew...just wanted to let you know that I have your back on the session beer thing and am carrying the flag here in Seattle.

    Wrote about it this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome: please stay on topic. Spam will not be posted; don't bother.