Monday, April 4, 2011

Another "session IPA"

Just got a press release from North Peak Brewing in Traverse City, Michigan about their new "Session India Pale Ale" they call Wanderer. It's...well, I'll let them describe it:
"...a wonderfully-refreshing Session IPA, brewed with locally-grown hops on Old Mission Peninsula in Traverse City. Session IPA is an exciting new style, balanced with malt and hop characters with a clean finish. Hopped with Perle, Willamette, Centennial and Citra that give it a citrus and pine finish, Wanderer is rounded out with a generous amount of dry-hopping with Citra hops to fill the nose to give it a light, clean and stimulating body. This combination of full-hop flavor and lower alcohol gives Wanderer a wonderful drinkability, allowing the craft beer drinker to have multiple beers, within a reasonable time period or “session.”"


Hmmm...not sure about that "reasonable" time period! But otherwise? These guys seem to get it, even though I'm guessing it's probably over-hopped for my tastes. I'm seeing more of these hoppy session beers; smart brewers trying to give the people what they want. 


Wonder what they charge for it...?

2 comments:

  1. When I was in England a few years back, the first IPA I saw was on handpump, and listed at 4.3%! It was delicious and I drank it all night :) Though at the time I was dumbfounded that they had the audacity to call a 4.3% beer an IPA.
    More reading of Ron Pattinson, has since schooled me on the subject of low abv IPAs, and of course, most importantly, there was no denying the taste! I forsee there will be more beers like this in our area soon ;)
    -Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great. Pretty ballsy move to make a low gravity IPA and call it such in the current beer-climate. Good for them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome: please stay on topic. Spam will not be posted; don't bother.